Internet Safety Policy
Saint Rose School, Perrysburg
Please read this document carefully before signing. The electronic signature page must be submitted as part of the student/staff profile.
I. Diocesan Statement on Technology
With Jesus, the Great Communicator, and in the spirit of our Christian tradition, we recognize that we live in a new media age, immersed in a new culture with an evolving language and method of communication. We propose to make use of the most effective means available to communicate the integration of faith and culture, which is at the center of Catholic values and education.
The use of new technologies presents new possibilities and challenges for the mission of the Church and Catholic education. The Church views emerging technologies as gifts of the Spirit to this age and challenges “God’s faithful people to make creative use of new discoveries and technologies for the benefit of humanity and the fulfillment of God’s plan for the world” (Aetatis Novae, #2, #3; Rome, 1992).
In keeping with the mission of the Catholic schools to promote values for a lifetime, the schools will instruct about and guard against inappropriate, unethical, and illegal use of the Internet by the student or adult user.
The purpose of the Internet Safety Policy is to provide the school’s approach to Internet safety and security and provides overarching themes for how Saint Rose School, Perrysburg will handle these issues rather than presenting a guide for students on the day-to-day operations of the school network, computers, and proper usages (this can be found in the Acceptable Use Policy, which complements this document). Saint Rose School, Perrysburg recognizes that students must act responsibly and will hold students accountable for their actions in attempting to uphold the Internet Safety Policy.
Successful operation of the building network facilities requires that use of Internet resources be consistent with the stated mission, goals, and objectives of Saint Rose School, Perrysburg
It is the policy of Saint Rose School, Perrysburg to:
1) Prevent user access to and transmission of inappropriate material via the Internet, email, or other forms of direct electronic communications over its computer network;
2) Prevent unauthorized access and other unlawful online activity;
3) Prevent unauthorized online disclosure, use, or dissemination of personal identification information of minors; and
4) Comply with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) [Pub. L. No. 106-554 and 47 USC 254(h)].
To gain access to the Internet, all students of Saint Rose School, Perrysburg must obtain parental permission and attend a series of required Internet training sessions. The signature(s) at the end of this document indicate(s) the party (parties) who signed has (have) read the terms and conditions carefully and understand(s) their significance.
Saint Rose School, Perrysburg reserves the right to terminate the account of any user in violation of these provisions, may result in a loss of computer access and further disciplinary action up to and possibly including suspension or expulsion, as well as legal action in accordance with the rules and regulations discussed during Internet training sessions. The school administration, faculty, and/or staff may request the Computer Teacher (or Technology Coordinator) to deny, revoke, or suspend specific user accounts. Key terms found in the policy are as defined in the CIPA, and several of these terms are included in the following “Definitions” section for the sake of clarity.
1) A user is defined as any student, faculty, or staff member using the technology resources at Saint Rose School, Perrysburg
2) (CIPA) A term minor is defined as any individual who has not attained the age of 17.
3) (CIPA) The term harmful to minors means a picture, image, graphic image file, or other visual depiction that:
a. Taken as a whole and with respect to minors, appeals to a prurient interest in nudity or sex;
b. Depicts, describes, or represents, in a patently offensive way with respect to what is suitable for minors; and
c. Taken as a whole, lacks serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value as to minors.
IV. Internet Terms and Conditions
1) Promotion of Internet Safety: To the extent practical, steps shall be taken to promote the safety and security of users of the Saint Rose School, Perrysburg online computer network when using electronic mail, chat rooms, instant messaging, and other forms of direct electronic communications.
2) Personal Information: Saint Rose School, Perrysburg encourages minors to be safe and take responsibility for their actions on the Internet. When using the computer network and Internet, minors should not reveal personal information about themselves or any other minors such as home address, phone number, full name, or any other identifying information.
B. System Security
1) System Bypasses: Saint Rose School, Perrysburg treats security on any computer system as a high priority. Users should notify a teacher if a problem or potential bypass of security systems is detected. Saint Rose School, Perrysburg strictly forbids students from accessing another individual’s account and/or tampering in any way with the personal emails, files, or data belonging to another person.
2) Hacking: As required by the CIPA, prevention of inappropriate network usage includes unauthorized access, including so-called ‘hacking,’ and other unlawful activities by minors online.
C. Inappropriate Material
1) Final Say: The network is provided to conduct research and communicate with others. Access to network services is given to users who agree to act in a considerate and responsible manner. Access is a privilege – not a right – that entails responsibility. Inappropriate use will result in a suspension or cancellation of Internet privileges. The Computer Teacher (or Technology Coordinator), after consultation with the Pastor/President and/or Principal will deem what is inappropriate use, and their decision is final. These same authorities will be consulted to determine what matter is inappropriate for minors.
2) Material: Saint Rose School, Perrysburg prohibits students from transmitting, receiving, submitting, or publishing any defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, offensive, cyberbullying or illegal materials. Reasonable measures will be enforced to prohibit students from obtaining inappropriate material online.
3) Liability: Saint Rose School, Perrysburg makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the service it is providing. Saint Rose School, Perrysburg assumes neither the responsibility nor liability for any phone charges, line costs or usage fees, or for any damages a user may suffer. This includes loss of data resulting from delays, non-deliveries, mis-deliveries, or service interruptions caused by one's own negligence or user errors or omissions. Use of any information obtained via the Internet is at the user's own risk. (SCHOOL NAME, CITY) specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its services.
1) Plagiarism: Saint Rose School’s honesty policy applies to the internet as well. Users must respect all copyright laws that protect software owners, artists, and writers. Plagiarism in any form will not be tolerated.
E. Technology Protection Measures
1) Filters: To the extent practical, Saint Rose School, Perrysburg shall use technology protection measures (or “Internet filters”) to block or filter the Internet, other forms of electronic communications, and access to inappropriate information. Specifically, as required by the CIPA, blocking must prevent against access by adults and minors to visual depictions of material deemed as obscene, child pornography, or harmful to minors. The school will enforce the operation of technology protection measures while the school computers with Internet access are being used.
2) Research: Subject to staff supervision, Saint Rose School. Perrysburg will allow technology protection measures to be disabled for adults or, for minors, minimized only for bona fide research, educational projects, or other lawful purpose.
1) Monitoring: The Computer Teacher (or Technology Coordinator) and administration will make every attempt to honor privacy. There is an acknowledged tradeoff between privacy and the need to gather information insuring system integrity and responsible use of the system. A log will be kept of all Internet use by students, faculty, staff, and administration, and all activities will be monitored.
2) Supervision by Staff: It shall be the responsibility of all members of the Saint Rose School, Perrysburg staff to supervise and monitor usage of the online computer network and access to the Internet in accordance with this policy and the CIPA.
1) Age Appropriate Training: The Technology Director/Computer Teacher (or Technology Coordinator) will provide age-appropriate training for students who use the Internet facilities of Saint Rose School, Perrysburg .The training provided will be designed to promote the school’s commitment to:
a. The standards and acceptable use of Internet services as set forth in this policy
b. Student safety with regard to:
i. Safety on the Internet
ii. Appropriate behavior while online, on social networking sites, using email, or in chat rooms
iii. Cyberbullying awareness and response
c. Compliance with the E-rate requirement of the CIPA
H. Content of Policy
1) Current Policy: Signed Internet Safety Policies will be kept on file at Saint Rose School, Perrysburg
2) Updating the Policy: This policy may be updated when new or changing technology warrants.
V. Loss of Privileges
Any violation(s) may result in a loss of computer access up to and possibly including suspension or expulsion, as well as legal action. Users are considered subject to all local, state, and federal laws.
Internet Safety Policy
Saint Rose School, Perrysburg
I have read the Internet Safety Policy. I understand the policy of Saint Rose School, Perrysburg regarding safety and security while using the Internet and other technology, and I agree to abide by measures established by these rules. I understand that if I violate the rules, my account can be terminated, and I may face other disciplinary measures up to and including suspension or expulsion.
PARENT (OR GUARDIAN) SECTION
As the parent or legal guardian of the student signing above, I have read this Internet Safety Policy. I grant permission for my son or daughter to access the Internet and to use the school’s technology. I understand the rules of Saint Rose School, Perrysburg regarding safety and security while using the Internet and other technology. I also understand that it is impossible for Saint Rose School, Perrysburg to restrict access to all controversial materials, and I will not hold the school or its staff responsible for materials acquired on the network. I understand that individuals and families may be held liable for violations. Furthermore, I accept full responsibility for supervision if and when my child's use is not in a school setting.
Name of User
Student's Graduating Year
Student's Electronic Signature
Name of Parent
Address Line 2
State / Province / Region
Postal / Zip Code
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
British Indian Ocean Territory
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Republic of the Congo
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Virgin Islands, British
Virgin Islands, U.S.
Alternate Phone Number
Parent's Electronic Signature
2017-2018 iPad Payment - Middle School Only
Select a Choice
I have my own ipad, and do not owe for the 2017-2018 school year.
I will pay/have paid $125 by cash or check to the office by May 1, 2017.
Do Not Fill This Out